Sunday, June 26, 2005

Children

Although they are only learning, children tend to be the best at power plays.

I suppose if you were raised by parents who spent most of their time negotiating with you to do what they wanted you to do, you would learn power well. And that is what parents do.

If you want to learn about the basics of power, watch children. They are not very good at masking their efforts. The power dynamics they implement are often transparent. But it is truely a basic course in power.

They are very aware of what they want. They pursue what they want knowing your role in attaining it. They also know your needs. They know the buttons to push.

Right now my son wants to go out and play soccer. I am trying to write.

Although I use my authority and say, "Go out and play." He keeps coming back in. He knows that he is getting to me. He knows that I want to be a good Dad. He doesn't have to just keep asking me. He doesn't have to disturb me.

He just has to say, "Dad, don't you want to play with your son?"

Now I'm cooked. My son knows more about power than me.....

See you later.

No comments: