Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A primer in power....

Still silence on the bargaining front. I hope you see it as I do. No news is good news.

As we get closer to a settlement we can be happier and lighter. So let's take a lighter look at power for today. After all Power can be fun too.

Here is a little power thread from our marketingatfleming.com website.


Mar 20 2006, 12:48 PM
Hey

Silly me
I don't know how to take a jpeg image and turn it into a power point background for a slide. I assume it is easy but I am not figuring it out....
You know, wash it out to a watermark and fit it completely in the slide so it serves as a background to a number of slides...
Who does?
You may want it for M PLans and Presentations later but I need it soon...
Talk to me...can you walk me through it?
Can you do it for me...?
Les
--------------------
Do you ever wonder where people's power comes from?


Mar 20 2006, 04:02 PM
Open Power Point

Click 'Format' drop down menu
Click 'Background'
Click the drop down box
Select 'Fill Effects'
Select the 'Picture' Tab
Click 'Select Picture'
Find the picture
Select the picture
Click Insert
Click OKSelect
Apply to All
That will take a picture you have and make it the background for every slide in your presentation.
Hopefully that does what you were looking for it to do.As for watermark? Don't really know what you mean but you can probably photoshop it to look however you want then insert it.
Let me know if it works
--------------------
Calvin SJ - 2nd Year Marketing"Trying is the first step to failure"



Mar 20 2006, 05:41 PM
Beautiful!!!

Thanks.
Les
--------------------
Do you ever wonder where people's power comes from?


Mar 21 2006, 08:14 AM
Knowledge is Power
--------------------
Calvin SJ - 2nd Year Marketing"Trying is the first step to failure"


Mar 21 2006, 08:20 AM
C'mon

You know better.
Knowledge is a mechanism of power.
There is no power without need.
Your knowledge only had power because I needed it.
Otherwise it was simply existing in your head.
Just like power does....
Les
--------------------
Do you ever wonder where people's power comes from?


Mar 21 2006, 03:10 PM
haha

you know what I meant.
But what held more power?
the knowledge I had or the fact that you knew you could get it
Take that
--------------------
Calvin S-J - 2nd Year Marketing"Trying is the first step to failure"


Mar 21 2006, 05:57 PM
speaking of power......my DM group got their hands on a little mechanism of power...

however, I think we are keeping this one to ourselves....
It will be way more fun knowing that we have it without having to actually use it.
Cal you are going to LOVE and I mean L O V E this one!!
P.S I am really hating this strike.....missing the teachers like crazy and now feeling like a BIG NERD for saying that!!
marketing wut!!
P.P.S does having a mechanism of power but not using it still make it a mechanism of power? Or does the subject have to know about the mechanism?? really missing les right now
------------------------------
beckyr


Mar 22 2006, 09:33 AM

Becky Becky Becky...

Remember that mechanisms are not just things. They are the ability to use the thing to help or hinder the needs of the subject. Having the thing does not make it a power mechanism unless you have the ability to use it to affect another person's needs and therefore control, influence or seduce their choice.

For example...Let's say you have a photo of Calvin in ladies underwear.

Now having that photo is not power in itself. Though I am sure you feel the exciting power waiting within it. But that power does not come from the photo, it comes from Calvin's need to keep it private or make it public.

Maybe Cal gave it to you. Or maybe he posed for you. Maybe you posed for each other. Maybe he wants you to have it. Having it in your possession does not make it a power mechanism.

But let's say he doesn't want the guys on his hockey team to have it.

Now you have the ability to do things with it.

You could do something that hinders him. Post it here on the web for example. Publish it in the Peterborough Examiner. Make copies and bring it to power class. That ability would take the thing and turn it into a power mechanism.

I am sure Cal would feel the control and influence.

On the other hand maybe Cal is lonely and he wants you to do that - maybe he needs a date.

Well then, doing all those things are not a hindrance to him but a help.

So instead of threatening to post it on the web you tell him that you won't post it on the web unless he does, says or thinks something that you want him to do say or think. When you do that, now it is mechanism of power by helping his need.

It is that ability to use the thing in some way - a way that helps or hinders Cal - that creates power in it.

Of course using it does not have to happen. The ability may be potential - through threat or promise - offered on condition. So for example, instead of publishing it on this site you just threaten to publish it unless he does what you want. Still power.

Or let's say you create a whole new "The Real Cal" website and send him the link. Then you tell him that you will share the link with everyone in the class unless....degrees of use...do you see it?

Degrees and potential are other ways to use mechanisms. A mechanism is not just a thing - it is the ability to use the thing to help or hinder the requirements desires or attachments of someone who you want to make a choice that matters to you.

Things are just things. That's why so many of us are tricked into thinking that once we have obtained things we will have power. Then when we get them we are just as powerless as before.

Or we may have power but we find that we are not happy about it. We are lonely.

Remember that having power over Cal creates a BiPolar reality that means he has power over you. You are only using it as a mechanism because you want something from him. For example you tease him into thinking that you will post it on the web because you want his attention. Maybe you want him to spend time with you because you think he looks so darn good in ladies underwear.

Well when he recognizes that you are only using power over him to get his attention he can turn it around. After all your need is his source of power. And you would not use power on him unless he had some ability that you needed.

So he might say, "If you publish that picture I will not let you come over to my house and photograph me in the other fifteen outfits I have."

Or he might say, "If you don't publish that picture of me I won't be your friend any more."

Then comes the real problem. Using power always destroys trust. All you have to do is threaten to use power over Cal and you will lose his trust - at least in the matters of ladies lingerie - forever. He will never pose for you again.

Hec, he may even use those photos he showed me of you.

So there you go - an explanation of power mechanisms and the use of power. A little lesson to get you through the strike. Did you notice though that I used compassion instead of power?

I could have used power over you because you told me that you missed me and that you wanted to have something explained to you. You showed me your need and I could have used it.

I could have said that I would not explain these power ideas with you unless you showed me those photos of Cal and you together in each other's underwear. But I didn't. Instead I used compassion and said, "She needs and answer. I have the ability to answer. Together we have a happier life if I show her compassion. Cause just like power destroys trust - compassion creates it. Compassion creates happy relationships. Power destroys them."

See how compassionate I am?

Now do you see what compassion you could have? You could just show me the photos because I really want to see them.

Later,

Les
--------------------
Do you ever wonder where people's power comes from?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee Thanks Les.

Now non-marketing students know about my underwear collection.

HBD won't shut up about it either :)

I did enjoy that post however, was nice to have a power type talk, I've been Jones'in